The church in Whitevale was originally built in 1885-1886 and was originally a Methodist church.  The outside remains virtually unchanged and is a prime example of Gothic Revival architecture.  In the interior the hammer beam arches are both structural and decorative, in keeping with the English tradition and help give it a strong acoustical sound.

It remained the Whitevale United Church until it went into a cocoon state and was eventually sold by the United Church.  It emerged as the St. Joseph of Arimathea Orthodox Church.  Although the denomination has changed, the church still remains an integral part of our community, taking part in the Spring Festival (the Saturday following Victoria Day), and hosting the Fall Barbeque.  

We carve in a nearby location 489 Whitevale Rd and occasionally use the church parking lot for your convenience

 

 

 

 

 

Whitevale's early success can be largely attributed to T.P. White and his construction of the many mills that once lined Duffin's Creek. In 1867, Mr. White built a large brick woollen mill on the land that the current Whitevale mill occupies. The old brick woollen mill was purchased by mill operator T.L. Wilson in 1932. His four sons took over the family business in 1959 and expanded it to include grain drying, fertilizer, and bulk feed handling equipment. The business came to a crashing halt however in 1961 when the brick mill was destroyed by a fire. The Wilson family quickly erected a new mill on the same site in 1962 and sold animal health products, pesticides and livestock, poultry and pet food. The mill continued to run for many more decades under the ownership of T.L. Wilson & Sons, but unfortunately is no longer in business but it continues to regenerate itself.

 

Top